Technology Blog #1: Developing a Connected Learning Model Summary and Connection To My Potential Career Choice

     The chapter, Developing a Connected Learning Model explores various strategies that our educators implement/can implement to help improve today's learners engagement in the classroom as well as their overall performance, attitude, academic, and social skills. According to the reading, I found that the most prominent way educators achieve this is by creating or getting involved in connected learning communities. These communities allow educators, or really anyone to interact with other people that share similar interests/goals in order to develop or share strategies that people can use to reach that common goal. Some skills that this can build overtime include critical thinking, active learning, problem solving, and collaborative action research.

    Within my potential career choice (engineering), developing a connected learning model can be crucial to becoming successful in the field. In the few years I spent working in a firm it became apparent to me that in the architecture/engineering world who you know is almost, if not just important as what you know. Even just interacting with coworkers and other professionals on a daily basis within the office makes it feel as if it were a connected learning community or a "community of practice". I can definitely say from personal experience that interacting within a community is often a huge eye-opener. It introduces you to new strategies and gets you to look at things through a different lens.  

   When people get involved within a community of practice or any kind of connected learning community there's much more to gain than just the knowledge you're obtaining. You could meet people you genuinely like that share interests, improve your social skills, and often make more connections from someone you just met to continue the cycle. Overall, understanding learning models and making connections to share and acquire knowledge is not only important to the success of our educators and learners. It's important to the success of people in all professions, fields of study, and it's important in life in general. 








Comments

  1. I really liked your summary of the reading. I agree that creating and getting involved in learning communities can elevate their way of teaching in getting students to be more engaged and advance their overall performance. It is very important for educators to share their personal experiences and skills so they can learn from each other. I like the way you compared your future career, engineering, to the learning model as even just interacting with coworkers makes the job feel more social and inclusive and you are able to learn from others experiences. Making connections is always important in the success of your profession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of summarizing the reading, and I liked how you were able to apply it to your real-life experience in your career of engineering. I like how you described the connect learning community as a "community of practice", because it really is a great way for individuals to express ideas and strategies together, as well as learn from each other and grow individually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your summary of the reading, and I agree with your point that for certain career paths, who you know is as important as what you know. I'm in the business career path, so this statement stood out to me because a huge part of business is making strong relationships, so who you know and can get in contact with is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anthony. I really like how you connected the chapter to your experience in engineering. You’re totally right that who you know can be just as important as what you know, and being part of a community at work really does feel like a learning community. I also agree that interacting with others can change how you look at problems and introduce new strategies you wouldn’t think of on your own. Plus, the social and networking benefits you mentioned are huge and apply to pretty much every career not just education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anthony, I agree with your point of view of this learning model to being crucial to becoming successful within the field of your career. I also saw it in that perspective. Being able to take on the whole community as a whole is definitely eye opener. Everyone has a different point of view, and we all can work together to voice different opinions/perspectives and make a whole community within our social groups. Love this connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Anthony! This was a very good post. The connection between your experiences in engineering shows how connected learning can apply outside of education. I also enjoyed the many examples you shared. What resonated with me most was the mention of how we can learn through everyday interactions, even just by working with colleagues and professionals. Finally, I completely agree that social skills can be built by being a part of different communities. You did a great job showing the importance of connected learning not only in careers, but in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Blog #2: Building Your Connected Learning Community