Technology Blog #2: Building Your Connected Learning Community

    In addition to the importance of building a PLN, the chapters' emphasis on designing a community, and shared leadership has similarities to the collaborative nature of structural engineering projects. Due to the complexity of large scale construction projects, they require the coordination of multiple stakeholders including architects, engineers, contractors, and drafters. Many companies use collaborative BIM environments that are facilitated by organizations such as Autodesk to create shared models and workflow processes. Similar to the concept of a community providing depth, through co-creation, and mutual accountability, I would be able to provide value back to my profession, by contributing to the community through sharing my own drafting efficiencies, assisting others with modeling problems, or mentoring newer team members.


    Chapter Six of "The Connected Educator" emphasizes the creation of a personal learning network (PLN), and the creation of a connected learning community. The authors point out that with an abundance of new and evolving information, no one person can have all the answers to every question; however, multiple sources working together to develop a network that shares information, ideas, and knowledge, can exponentially grow the amount of knowledge and expertise. The authors define the difference between a network and a community. Networks provide breadth, by providing access to numerous different types of information and ideas. Communities provide depth, by creating opportunities for collaboration, and shared goals. When designing a PLN, the authors emphasize the need for intentional design, reciprocity, and a clear sense of purpose, rather than just accumulating contacts, or linking. Additionally, the authors outline the process of creating and growing a learning community, from conceptualization and launch, to engaging and adapting to changes, and stress that effective leadership, building trust, and collaboratively creating content are crucial elements for sustaining growth within the community.


    






    

    For a future CAD Drafter and Structural Engineer, the idea of having a Personal Learning Network (PLN) will be directly beneficial to my career. With engineering standards, building codes, and design software's (such as AutoCAD and Revit) constantly changing and evolving, there is a constant need to continue learning and staying current. A PLN allows me to follow other experienced engineers, BIM experts, and industry professionals, who will be able to share their experiences, and insights related to structural detailing, load calculations, and the latest advancements in materials. Similar to how the chapter explains that networks provide cognitive dissonance, which leads to innovation, I believe that being exposed to different perspectives, and ways of thinking in engineering could positively impact the manner in which I tackle various structural design problems. Rather than solely relying on what I learned in school, or from my local work environment, I am able to utilize professional networking sites, online forums, and engineering communities to obtain best practices, compare drafting methods, and improve my efficiency, and accuracy.

    Ultimately, Chapter 6 reinforces that professional growth does not happen in isolation, it occurs through intentional connections, shared responsibilities, and continuous engagement — all principles that are critical for success in the structural engineering field.





Comments

  1. I liked your connection between Chapter 6 and structural engineering I think its well explained. I like how you compared a PLN to collaborative BIM tools like AutoCAD, those are sites where teamwork and shared responsibility are important. Lastly, you showed clearly the difference between networks, and communities, and the similarities it has to engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a really strong connection between personal learning networks and the teamwork involved in structural engineering projects. I especially liked how you mentioned different tools, since they show how collaboration happens in real professional settings. It shows that building a PLN can help you stay updated, solve problems more efficiently, and grow in your engineering career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a really strong connection between personal learning networks and the teamwork needed in structural engineering projects. I liked how you talked about different tools because they show how people actually work together in real jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony, I really liked how you connected PLNs to structural engineering and BIM. Your comparison made the difference between networks and communities really clear. I also agree that staying updated with changing software and building codes makes having a PLN super important in engineering. Great job explaining everything in a way that connects to your future career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy how closely you related this to yourself and your career. Being able to access information beyond what you've learned in school is extremely important. I like how you mentioned different tools, too. Staying updated with software is a constant need and PLNs are important for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked how your blog clearly connected the ideas of PLNs, community, and shared leadership to a real-world career field. Even though your focus was structural engineering, the emphasis on collaboration and co-creation translates well to industries like event planning, where teamwork and coordination are just as essential. Your explanation of how networks provide breadth while communities provide depth was especially strong, and it made the concept easy to understand and apply. Overall, your response did a great job showing how professional growth comes from actively engaging with others, which is something that resonates across many career paths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Blog #1: Developing a Connected Learning Model Summary and Connection To My Potential Career Choice